So what is listening?
Listening is active and generally results in some level of action. Say you’ve set up a bunch of the monitoring tools and you start to get a flurry of posts. You’ll probably need to do a lot of fine-tuning at first. For example, if you’re a local business you might not want to hear about shoes sold in Brazil.
Listen, listen, listen. One of the most important things someone taught me about social media is to LISTEN. Here are some tips they gave me:
- Listen for conversations you can engage in.
- Listen to your customers to find out why your service isn’t as good as they expected or to see just how much your clients love you.
- Listen to what you competitors are doing online and where they are engaging
- Listen for new industry trends
- Listen to people who know more than you do so you can learn from them
- Listen to find out who is really influencing your space and how to connect with them
It’s an ongoing part of your listening program to get it fine tuned so you can actually get a big picture of what’s going on. So, if you’ve tuned into your listening tools to get the most out of them. Now comes the fun part. You need to respond to what you’ve heard. Learn from it. Start conversations. Engage new people. Show you’re listening and you care about what people have to say. Hence monitoring.